07 May 2008

design overload

May is a busy month for design in New York. First off is Brooklyn Designs from May 9-11 in Dumbo. I wasn't able to go last year so I will be sure to make time for it this year. This design gathering features designers and manufacturers of contemporary furniture, lighting, rugs, and home accessories all made in Brooklyn. The design scene in Brooklyn has a more quirky style and a bit more edge to it in my opinion.

via

May 17-20 is the International Contemporary Furniture Fair or ICFF. I didn't get to go last year to this either, but a few of us in my office are planning to go this year. I heard that last year's show was a bit so-so, hopefully this year will be better. I'm especially looking forward to see the designs from the UK, Sweden, Brazil, Denmark and Norway.

via

The last design related event is the annual Kips Bay Decorator Show House on the upper east side. Decorator show houses have 10-12 different interior designers with each decorating a room in the house. It is a great way to see what the current trends are and to get some great ideas for your own home from professionals. When I was a student at Parsons I would volunteer to be a room minder so I could get free admission. I'm very tempted to be a volunteer again since the admission is still $30. I don't know if I will be able to work this into my schedule but I am sure going to try.

--heidi

2 comments:

Darleen said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Can you buy when you are there??

katie and heidi said...

It's mostly to show what's out there for buyers and designers but it is open to the public at least one day. You may have to go to each companies website and order directly from them or find out who carries their work.
--heidi

 
Clicky Web Analytics