06 December 2008

i not dead


Such an intense beginning to our day today! Around 7:30 this morning an incessant beeping woke me up. We have a railroad flat and it sounded like it was in the back (our bedroom is in the front) so I got up to see what it was. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector-GET ONE! Ours was going off like crazy so I immediately opened the windows and called 311. I love NYC for 311 which is the number you can call for anything-yes ANYTHING. They connected me to 911 who connected me to the fire department who was at our door in less than 5 minutes. We had three giant firemen in our kitchen and clunking around through our flat with their axes and other pokey staff things (to bust/tear down a door). These guys were big and made our place look oh so tiny. They confirmed we did have carbon monoxide in our kitchen and proceeded to wake up the entire building to find the source (the boiler?) and to check the other flats. While all this went down we stayed in the hall and watched while we waited for clearance to go back into our flat. This ends very anti-climactic because after a while they just left and we had to call our super to see if we could go back inside our flat. Wow! I love our carbon monoxide detector-If I could I'd take it to dinner to thank it for making this years Christmas the best cuz we're not dead!

--Katie

**no pictures taken by us since we were in our jim jams and we had other things going on.

image via

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love your carbon monoxide detector, cuz you're not dead.
Tell it thank you from me. Can't wait to see you on the 23rd. Costco here we come!

xoxo--Denise

Goog & Winnie said...

Dear katie,
I am glad that you love your carbon monoxide detector, and I love it too for saving you.

But I hate mine.

We will be sitting in bed and the one right above our bed will beep, just short abrupt beeps.
Then it will stop and we will hear the one downstairs in the kitchen beep. beep. stop.
Then the one above our head will beep. beep. stop.
Sometimes they go on talking to each other back and forth like this for hours, with no carbon monoxide involved.

As far as I am concerned, my detector cries wolf, if and when it does go off, I won't believe it.
Love,
Sarah G.

 
Clicky Web Analytics